Holy Cross Hospital
AKA Salt Lake Regional Medical Center, Iasis Healthcare, Salt Lake City, UT
The Holy Cross Hospital served the Salt Lake City and surrounding communities from 1875 until 1993, when it was purchased by Salt Lake Regional Medical Center. The Holy Cross Hospital was first established in a rented house and could serve a maximum of 12 patients. It eventually grew into a larger facility serving hundreds of people. With the exception of its chapel, all buildings of the original Holy Cross Hospital were demolished and replaced intermittently between 1960 and 2005.
Address or general location
1050 E South Temple, Salt Lake City, Utah
At the time that the Holy Cross Hospital was established in 1875, the Catholic population of Utah was limited. With the invitation of Father Lawrence Scanlan, the Roman Catholic Sisters arrived in Utah with the goal of establishing a school and a hospital. Due to the diligent efforts of Sister Augusta and Sister Raymond, they were able to raise the funds for both facilities from the many area mining towns they visited.
The Holy Cross Hospital was first located in a rental house and served a maximum of 12 patients. By the early 1900s, the Holy Cross Hospital was located in the area of 1050 East South Temple. The building included several wings which, over time, were demolished and replaced. The main building was replaced in 1960 and the west wing was demolished in 1988. The east wing was torn down in 2005, and the only remaining structure of the original Holy Cross Hospital is its non-denominational chapel. The Salt Lake Regional Medical Center, owned by Iasis Healthcare, purchased the Holy Cross Hospital in 1993.