Frank Moss Building
Frank E. Moss U.S. Courthouse
Salt Lake City, UT
Originally known as the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse, the Frank E. Moss U.S. Courthouse (“Moss Building”) was constructed in 1903. In 1910, and later in the 1930s, additions were added to the structure. The Moss Building continues to house a variety of government offices.
Address or general location
350 South Main Street, Salt Lake City, Utah
The oldest building in Salt Lake City’s Exchange Place Historic District, the Frank E. Moss U.S. Courthouse (“Moss Building”) was built in 1903 shortly after Utah became a state. The building was originally known as the U.S Post Office and Courthouse. At the time of its construction, there was tension between the Mormons and Gentiles (non-Mormons). The Gentile population began constructing around the federal building resulting in what is now referred to as the Exchange Place Historic District.
The 5-story, granite structure was built in the Neoclassical style. Additions were made to the structure in 1912 and 1932, resulting in the structure’s eventual shape of a “figure eight.” The building was renamed as the Frank E. Moss U.S. Courthouse in 1990 in honor of Frank Moss, a three-term U.S. Senator from Utah. A new federal courthouse building was completed in 2014; however, the Moss Building continues to house government offices, including Health and Human Services as well as the Federal Bankruptcy Court.