Pennsylvania Electric Company
AKA Penelec, multiple locations, PA
Founded in 1919, the Pennsylvania Electric Company (Penelec) serves the north, west and south central parts of Pennsylvania. A subsidiary of FirstEnergy, Penelec is an electric distributor for a large number of power plants in Pennsylvania.
Address or general location
Multiple locations, including New Florence, Shawville, Shelocta, Williamsburg and Altoona, PA.
Pennsylvania Electric Company (aka Penelec) has operated as an electric company since its founding in 1919. Penelec currently operates as an electric transmission and distribution system for the north, west and south-central parts of Pennsylvania. Over the years, Penelec distributed power for a large number of plants, including the following stations:
Seward Plant, 595 Plant Road, New Florence, PA. Current utility company is NRG Wholesale Generation. Two of the three coal-fired units were constructed in the 1950s and retired in 2003. A unit which was constructed in 2004 is still in operation.
Conemaugh Plant, 1442 Power Plant Rd, New Florence, PA. Current utility company is GenOn Northeast Management Company. All 6 units began operating in the early 1970s and are still in operation.
Blossburg Plant, North Route 15, Blossburg, PA. Current utility company is NRG REMA, LLC. Unit 1 began operating in 1971 and is still in operation.
Shawville Plant, 250 Power Plant Drive, Shawville, PA. Current utility company is NRG REMA, LLC. The 7 units, including 4 coal-fired units, began operating in the mid-1950s into the early 1960s.
Keystone Plant, 313 Keystone Drive, Shelocta, PA. Current utility company is GenOn Northeast Management Company. The facility includes 6 units of which 2 are coal-fired. All began operating in 1967 or 1968.
Piney Plant, 2000 River Road, Clarion, PA. Current utility company is BP Piney & Deep Creek LLC. Its three hydroelectric units began operating in the 1920s.
Warren Plant, 2325 Pennsylvania Ave, W Ext, Warren, PA. Two of its three units operated from 1948 until 2002. The third unit began operating in 1972. The utility company is NRG REMA, LLC.
Wayne Plant, 3590 Franklin Pike, Cockranton, PA. One unit operated from 1972-2004.
William F. Matson Generating Station, 13797 Point Road, Huntingdon, PA. The current utility company is Allegheny Electric Coop Inc. Its two hydroelectric units began operating in 1988.
FirstEnergy Seneca, 1211 Kinzua Rd, Rt 59, Kinzua TWP, PA. The current utility company is Seneca Generation LLC. The three hydroelectric units began operating in 1970.
Indiana University of Pennsylvania Plant, 525 Pratt Drive. The current utility company is Indiana University of Pennsylvania The 4-unit facility began operating in 1988.
Colver Power Project, 141 Interpower Drive, Colver, PA. The current utility company is Inter-Power/AhlCon Partners, LP. The single unit facility began operating in 1995.
Warrior Ridge Hydro Plant, 8217 Warrior Ridge Road, Petersurg, PA. The utility company is American Hydro Power Company. The multi-unit facility began operating in 1985.
Ebensburg Power, 2840 New Germany Road, Ebensburg, PA. The utility company is Ebensburg Power Company. The coal-fired plant began operating in 1990.
Cambria Cogen Plant, 243 Rubisch Road, Ebensburg, PA. The utility company is Cambria CoGen Company. The coal-fired plant began operating in 1991.
American Eagle Paper Mills Plant, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Tyrone, PA. The utility company is American Eagle Paper Mills. The 4-unit, coal-fired plant began operating in 1929, 1930, 1936 and 1958.
Yough Hydro Power, 66 Hydro Lane, Confluence, PA. The utility company is D/R Hydro Company. The 2-unit plant began operating in 1989.
Juniata Locomotive Shop (“Altoona Works”), 200 N 4th Ave, Altoona, PA. The facility began operating in 1955.
Employing hundreds of workers, Penelec is an operating subsidiary of FirstEnergy.