AKA J&L, Aliquippa Works, Pittsburgh Works, Eliza Works, LTV Steel, Ling-Temco-Vought Steel, Aliquippa and Pittsburgh, PA
Jones and Laughlin Steel Company (“J & L”) played a significant role in the steel industry for several decades beginning in the mid-1800s. In the 1980s, J & L was purchased by Ling-Temco-Vought Steel (“LTV Steel”). After decades of operation and having employed thousands of workers, all facilities were closed by 1989.
Address or general location
Pittsburgh Works (AKA Eliza Works) was located along the Monongahela River in Pittsburgh.
Aliquippa Works was located along the Ohio River in what was Woodlawn, PA, but is now Aliquippa, PA.
Jones and Laughlin Steel Company (“J & L”) was a significant employer in the Pittsburgh area for decades. J & L first began as the American Iron Company in 1852. J & L operated two, large mills. The mill located in Pittsburgh was referred to as the Pittsburgh Works (AKA Eliza Works) and the mill in Woodlawn (which would later become Aliquippa) was referred to as the Aliquippa Works.
J & L employed thousands of workers throughout its operation and significantly impacted the surrounding communities. For interesting details about Aliquippa Works, see Mark DiVecchio’s website which includes workers’ accounts of the facility as well as historic images of the mill.