Allegheny Ludlum Washington
Allegheny Ludlum Steel
FKA Jessop Steel, LLC; AKA Washington Specialty Plate Mill, ATI, Allegheny Technologies, Inc., ATI Flat Rolled Products, Washington, PA
In the 1990s, Allegheny Ludlum Steel purchased the Jessop Steel plant located in Washington, PA. The facility has long played an important role in the manufacturing of specialty steel products and currently employs approximately 500 workers.
Address or general location
500 Green Street, Washington, PA
Jessop Steel Company was established in 1901 with the goal to manufacture the highest grade of steel. Over the years of operation, hundreds of workers were employed at the Washington facility. In the 1990s, Allegheny Ludlum Steel purchased the facilities. Currently, around 500 workers are employed at this location.
Allegheny Ludlum Steel Corporation was formed in the late 1930s when Allegheny Steel of Pittsburgh merged with Ludlum Steel of New York. Throughout its history, the company has evolved via technological innovations and through acquisitions of other companies, including Jessop Steel Company.
In 1996, Allegheny Ludlum Steel became Allegheny Technologies, Inc. (ATI) when it merged with Teledyne. The Washington location is one of 11 steel mills owned by ATI in Pennsylvania. The other locations include Brackenridge, Bagdad, Latrobe, Midland, Monaca, Natrona Heights, Oakdale, Rochester, Vandergrift, and Zelienople, PA. In the 2000s, some of the ATI mills were closed and moved to the Brackenridge facility.