FKA Crucible Materials Company, Crucible Steel of American, Jones and Laughlin Steel Company, J&L, ATI, Allegheny Technologies, Inc., ATI Flat Rolled Products, Gilpin, PA
Originally owned by Crucible Steel of America, the Midland plant began operating in 1908. In the early 1980s, the stainless steel mill was purchased by Jones and Laughlin Steel Company. Later, Allegheny Ludlum purchased the plant in 2004 but closed the mill in 2016.
Address or general location
In 1908, the Midland mill began operating as the world’s first fully integrated stainless steel facility. First owned by Crucible Steel of America, the mill was later purchased by Jones and Laughlin Steel (J&L) in the 1980s and, later in 2004, by Allegheny Ludlum Steel.
As many as 4,500 workers were employed at the mill when it was owned by Crucible Steel. The number of workers declined under the J&L which only employed 250 workers. ATI closed the mill in 2016.
In 1996, Allegheny Ludlum Steel became Allegheny Technologies, Inc. (ATI) when it merged with Teledyne. ATI has operated as many as 11 steel mills in Pennsylvania, including the Midland facility. The other ATI locations include Brackenridge, Latrobe, Bagdad, Monaca, Natrona Heights, Oakdale, Rochester, Vandergrift, Washington and Zelienople, PA.