Bingham Consolidated Mining and Smelting Company
(AKA: and Bingham Copper and Gold Mining Company. Associated names include United States Smelting Company, and Kennecott Corporation, Dalton Mine, Lark Mine, Dalton and Lark Group, U.S. Lark Mine, Ute Copper Company, Commercial Mine, Commercial No 2 Mine, Venard Tunnel, Copper Gulch and Old Hickory Mine, New Bingham Mary Mining Company)
Located in the Bingham Canyon west of Salt Lake City, the Bingham Copper and Gold Company (later named the Bingham Consolidated Mining and Smelting Company) mined copper and gold in a number of mines, such as the Dalton and Lark Mines, located in the canyon. As was the case for many mining companies in the region, Bingham Copper (a/k/a Bingham Consolidated) were eventually acquired by Kennecott Corporation which operates the largest open-pit copper mine in the world.
Address or general location
Mines were located in Bingham Canyon
Smelter located in Midvale
In 1901, Bingham Copper and Gold Company (“Bingham Copper”) acquired the Dalton and Lark mines located in Bingham Canyon and was reorganized as the Bingham Consolidated Mining and Smelting Company (“Bingham Consolidated” ). Just prior to that, in 1899, Bingham Copper constructed their copper smelter in Midvale (formerly Bingham Junction). In 1929, Bingham Consolidated was acquired by the United States Smelting Company, and like so many other mines and mining companies in the region, was later acquired by Kennecott Corporation in the 1960s. Over time, the Kennecott Corporation’s mine in Bingham Canyon became the largest open-pit copper mine in the world.
As part of the Bingham Canyon area in the Oquirrh Mountains west of Salt Lake City, Utah, the surrounding area of the Lark mine was home to the many workers employed there. Attracting a large number of immigrants in search of work, the Bingham Canyon area was very diverse. In the Lark settlement, the primary ethnic groups residing there included Austrians, Welsh, Cornish and other Britons in the 1920s. Due to the continued expansion of the mine, the Lark settlement was was demolished by Kennecott in the late 1970s.