American Can Company
New Orleans, LA
Converted into apartments in the early 2000s, the American Can Company manufactured cans at the facility from the early 1900s until its closure in 1988. Covering nearly 7 acres of property and comprising 6 separate buildings, the complex at its peak employed as many as 1,500 workers.
Address or general location
Bounded by Orleans Avenue, North Genois, Toulouse, and North Cortez streets in the mid-city area of New Orleans.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the former American Can Company complex is located in the mid-city area of New Orleans. The construction of the 6-building complex began in 1907 and continued until 1929. The site was closed in 1988 and remained untouched until the site was remediated in the early 2000s. The large facility employed as many as 1,500 workers during its prime.