Crystal Ice Company
AKA Consolidated Ice Company, Pittsburgh, PA
The Crystal Ice Company was an early player in the ice industry that began to prosper in the Pittsburgh area in the late 1800s. In 1899, the Crystal Ice Company merged with several other ice companies in the area to form the Consolidated Ice Company. The largest of the ice factories was the Consolidated Ice Company Factory No. 2 which closed in 1951.
Address or general location
Allegheny City (now Pittsburgh), PA
The Crystal Ice Company began operating in the late 1800s in what was previously known as Allegheny City (later annexed by Pittsburgh). Ice companies played a critical role in food preservation, particularly for the meat industry, in the late 1800s and early 1900s. During that time period, several ice companies operated around the region and were often located near or associated with meat markets.
In the early 1900s, the Crystal Ice Company merged with other area ice companies to form the Consolidated Ice Company. There were many different ice factories throughout the region; however, the largest and most significant factory was the Consolidated Ice Company Factory No. 2 which closed in 1951.