Altoona Hospital and Mercy/Bon Secours Hospital

Now UPMC Altoona, Altoona, PA

http://tokencatalog.com/token_record_forms.php?action=DisplayTokenRecord&td_id=383214&inventory_id=379114&attribution_id=392696&td_create_uid=762

http://www.familyoldphotos.com/photo/pennsylvania/21873/mercy-hospital-altoona-pa

Jobsite

Altoona’s community is currently served by the University of Pittsburgh’s Medical Center (UPMC) in downtown Altoona, PA.  The UPDC is the product of the merger of Altoona Hospital with Bon Secours Holy Family Hospital (formerly the Mercy Hospital of Altoona).  

Address or general location

Altoona, PA

Detail

In the early 1900s, the community of Altoona, PA, was served by two area hospitals: the Altoona Hospital and the Mercy Hospital of Altoona which was later renamed the Bon Secours Holy Family Hospital.  In 2004, the two hospital campuses merged to form the Altoona Regional Health System.  In 2013, Altoona Regional Health System became a part of the University of Pittsburgh’s Medical Center (UPMC) and was renamed  UPMC Altoona.

Altoona Hospital

Founded in 1881, the Altoona General Hospital (later Altoona Hospital) was first housed in a 2-story building with a 30-bed capacity.  Over the following decades, the hospital expanded to include multi-level buildings along Howard Avenue.  In 2004, Altoona Hospital merged with Bon Secours Holy Family Hospital (formerly the Mercy Hospital of Altoona) to form the Altoona Regional Health System which later became a part of the University of Pittsburgh’s Medical Center (UPMC).  

Mercy Hospital of Altoona / Bon Secours Holy Family Hospital

Originally named the Mountain City Hospital, the Mercy Hospital of Altoona (“Mercy Hospital”) was founded in 1910.  Initially, the hospital was located at Eighth Avenue and Twenty-Sixth Street in Altoona in a small, nine-bed facility.  In 1996, Mercy Hospital was purchased by the Sisters of Bon Secours and was renamed Bon Secours Holy Family Hospital.  In 2004, Bon Secours Holy Family Hospital merged with Altoona Hospital to form the Altoona Regional Health System which later became a part of the University of Pittsburgh’s Medical Center (UPMC).  In 2012, the former Bon Secours Holy Family Hospital’s campus was closed.