Allegheny Ludlum Steel Natrona Heights

AKA Natrona Melt Shop, 8-7 Department, ATI, Allegheny Technologies, Inc., ATI Flat Rolled Products, Natrona Heights, PA

http://www.steel-photo.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/natrona1.jpg

Jobsite

Allegheny Ludlum Steel’s Natrona Melt Shop operated from the 1960s until 2010.  When in operation, the Natrona Melt Shop melted grain-oriented steel that was manufactured for the electrical industry.  Allegheny Ludlum (also known as ATI) is a specialty metals company which operates several steel mills across the nation.  

Address or general location

1300 Pacific Avenue, Natrona Heights, PA

Detail

Allegheny Ludlum Steel Corporation was formed in the late 1930s when Allegheny Steel of Pittsburgh merged with Ludlum Steel of New York.  Throughout its history, the company has evolved via technological innovations and through acquisitions of other companies.  

In 1996, Allegheny Ludlum Steel became Allegheny Technologies, Inc. (ATI) when it merged with Teledyne.  ATI has operated as many as 11 steel mills in Pennsylvania, including the Natrona Melt Shop which melted grain-oriented steel that was manufactured for the electrical industry.  The other ATI locations include Brackenridge, Bagdad, Latrobe, Midland, Monaca, Oakdale, Rochester, Vandergrift, Washington and Zelienople, PA.  

In the 2000s, ATI expanded its operations at Brackenridge Works.  In order to consolidate their operations, ATI’s facilities, such as the Natrona Melt Shop, were closed and moved to the Brackenridge facility.  Prior to closure, the Natrona Melt Shop had been in operation since the 1960s.  Throughout its years of its operation, the Natrona facility employed as many as 50-75 workers at a time.